Thanksgiving has come a long way since the 1600s but how did it become what it is today? It wasn’t through drastic changes but subtle traditions that formed over decades to become the Thanksgiving that we know and love.
Here are what the decades gave us:
- The NFL starts playing football on Thanksgiving
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade in New York City is born
- The Detroit Lions began playing home games every Thanksgiving
- The National Turkey Federation begins presenting a live turkey and two dressed turkeys to the President of the United States
- The day after Thanksgiving becomes known as Black Friday
- The Macy’s Day Parade becomes televised
- NFL games are televised for Thanksgiving day
- The Dallas Cowboys began playing home games every Thanksgiving
- Stove Top stuffing was invented
- NFL Commentator John Madden makes turducken popular during TV broadcast
- Cook’s Illustrated makes brining a turkey a trend
- NFL adds 3rd game to Thanksgiving night
- Stores begin closing on Thanksgiving day to promote family time
What are some of your family’s traditions? Do you snap a wishbone with your mom, or have a special thanksgiving dessert? Tell us in the comments!
For more Thanksgiving traditions click here!